Why stay with a sore back when a Chiropractor is all you need?
Taxes, bills, family, relationships…even our 9-to-5 jobs, there’s a lot on your plate already. The last thing you’ll need is a sore back. The human body is like a machine, and just like any machine which needs oiling, tuning and regular maintenance, your body needs it too. It’s not just a massage that your body needs, it deserves proper medical attention. A chiropractor is your one-stop solution for all your muscular and skeletal pains- remember, a sore muscle can be as dangerous as any other medical illness if left unattended.
Let us first get some things clear about a chiropractor:
Chiropractic is a method of alternative medicine, invented by Daniel David Palmer. It deals with the diagnosis and subsequent treatment of the mechanical aspect of our body- our muscles, bones and nervous system, especially the spine.
Though shrouded in controversy over its effectiveness, a chiropractor’s job should not be undermined. A chiropractor can heal a long-staying muscle pain in a few visits, without any need for harmful medicines or any expensive surgery. The funny thing is, there is no consensus among the chiropractors regarding their job description. Some like to consider themselves as “back and neck pain specialists” while others just believe that they are primary care providers. WHO, however, considers chiropractic to be a form of “complementary and alternate medicine”(CAM).
What does a chiropractor do?
Starting from a hands-on manual adjustment to suggesting you a proper diet- all of it falls under the purview of your chiropractor. But what exactly does he do? The answer lies in the sole belief of the practice that the body can heal itself without any aid for drugs or surgery, provided there is a proper alignment of the musculoskeletal structure, particularly the spinal cord. So, like with any doctor you visit, a chiropractor too, will preferably ask you for your medical history records and follow it up with a manual adjustment of your muscles, nerves and bones. He may also advise you on your nutritional habits along with some light exercises.
- The first and probably the most alluring point of chiropractic is the notion of no medicines and surgeries. Medicines are not only expensive but may also entail many sorts of harmful side-effects, or even after-effect with prolonged use. Even surgeries are expensive. Add to that the amount of post surgery restrictions, it ends up being a real hassle. Given these circumstances, a chiropractor is really your best option.
- Chiropractic is actually helpful for cancer patients. Treatment for cancer may cause stress on our mechanical bodily functions, causing some patients to experience headaches, peripheral “neuropathy“, and muscle tension. Chiropractic can help reduce this stress and add flexibility, strength and mobility, thus promoting overall well-being.
Chiropractic treatment, however, is not fool-proof. Serious complications may arise if your chiropractor is not well experienced enough. Treatment may involve the following risks:
- Vertebral artery dissection (a stroke) after neck manipulation.
- Cauda Equina Syndrome- a compression of nerves in the lower column of the spine.
- A herniated disk (or worsening of a such an existing condition). This is a condition where the outer portion of the vertebral disc is torn, allowing the nucleus (the inner portion) to herniate or extrude through the fibres.
Despite all of these risks involved, chiropractors have proven the importance and advantages of their profession- making lives, and subsequently sore muscles less cumbersome through the ages.