The call for professional painter can come from contractors, interior designers, builders, real estate developers, home owners, corporate companies, business establishments and so on. The requirements of every customer are unique in some aspects and similar in some others. As a professional painter you should be able to assess and evaluate them before starting with your project works. In the initial stages you might face some issues, especially in paint and add on selection, preparation, repairing and refurbishing of surfaces and furniture & fixture and other related aspects. But once you gain experience you will be able to fit into the groove of professional painter without further hassles.
Professional Painter as a Planner
Use your skills to analyze the project requirements. Small painting tasks for homes and commercial areas can be managed alone or with a couple of assistants. Prepare estimations for work, material and cost. Submit the details to the prospective client and get his approval. Once this stage is complete you can start planning for your project.
- Procure paints and add on materials before the project start. Estimate the tools and equipments required. Don’t ignore or omit even the smallest of tools.
- Split the project into multiple phases. If the entire house has to be painted, you can start with internal painting, wooden and metal painting and finally external painting. The order is just an example. You may choose any order depending on the project specifications. If the supply stores are nearby you can get the materials for each stage and avoid overstocking. This will avoid waste.
- Allocate manpower optimally based on the volume of work and time requirement.
Specialized Project Execution by Professional Painter
Start your work with surface repair, renovation and preparation. Fix the cracks, fill the holes and seal the gaps with proper materials. Only flawless surfaces can be painted effectively by avoiding waste of paint and other materials.
- Your prospective customers want the best of painting decorations within their budget, time and other constraints. So you need to go exactly according to the plan. If the customer wants any changes in the plan which may cost extra, you must inform him clearly.
- Optimize the usage of primers and sealers wherever required.
- Use the tools and equipments based on the surface you are painting. Avoid oversized and undersized tools for prevent wasting of paint and time.
- Go into detailing as you paint each part of the house. You can suggest the color of paint for different parts of the house like living room, drawing room, kitchen, patio, bedroom etc. You need to base this suggestion not only on the perspective of interior design but also on the practical concept of color psychology.
- At the end of each stage / day you need to take stock of work completed and scan for any defects. Take measures to rectify them immediately before the paint dries up. Once you are able to follow this procedure for all the stages your job as a professional painter will be complete.